Speak to a solicitor today
01276 692233

Twitter Linkedin

Grandparents & grandchildren


Grandparents can perform an essential function in supporting parents with children. But, in a relationship breakdown, what if a parent stops a grandparent from seeing their grandchild?

As a grandparent you do not have an automatic right to see your grandchildren. One way of trying to resolve matters is to mediate. Family mediation is a process in which those involved in family breakdown, whether or not they are a couple or other family members, appoint an impartial third person to assist them to communicate better with one another and reach their own agreed and informed decisions concerning some, or all, of the issues relating to separation, divorce, children, finance or property by negotiation.

If mediation does not succeed and it comes to a grandparent making an application for a child arrangements order then they must first seek the leave, or permission, of the court. When considering whether leave should be given the following is taken into account:

(a) the nature of the proposed application for the section 8 order;

(b) the applicant’s connection with the child;

(c) any risk there might be of that proposed application disrupting the child’s life to such an extent that he would be harmed by it.

Providing that there is a relationship between the grandparent and the grandchild the leave application is likely to be granted. The court will then make a decision based on the child’s welfare being paramount with particular regard being had to the welfare checklist as it would for any application for a child arrangements order, see How does the court make orders over  the children.

Holidays and the separated family
How does the court make orders over the children?

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Tuesday, 17 May 2022

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.fosterharrington.co.uk/

For qualified and expert legal advice please get in touch on 01276 692233 or use our contact form and we will call you back.

 family law resolution logo  Society of Trust Estate Practitioners

Legal Information

Email Disclaimer | Copyright | Cookies & Privacy | Statutory Information | Website Disclaimer  | Privacy

Foster Harrington is the trading name of Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited. Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales (with registered number 08472565) and its registered office is at the above address. It is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 599319). VAT Registered No 384 3092 44.

Contact Us

Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited
22 Park Street, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 3PL

Call us on 01276 692233 or email info@fosterharrington.co.uk