Speak to a solicitor today
01276 692233

Twitter Linkedin

Holidays and the separated family


When a family separates, the timing and nature of family holidays can become an issue.

There can be particularly difficulty where one parent wishes to take children abroad against the wishes of the other. It is a criminal offence to take a child out of the country without the permission of everyone who has “parental responsibility” for that child, typically the other parent.

Someone who has a “lives with” child arrangements order in their favour can take the relevant child abroad for up to one month without needing permission unless there is a court order to the contrary.

Typically, the court will have expected you to have undergone a mediation information and assessment meeting before you make an application to the court.

Disputes about holidays can form part of more general proceedings about with whom a child should live with or who they should spend time with and when. It is important that, should there be a dispute over the single issue of a holiday, then it may take a good deal of time to get to a final hearing which may overtake the holiday period in dispute. Because there is a huge workload creating great demand on court centres you should apply to the court once a dispute has been identified, several months in advance. It is possible to make an application on an urgent basis but there are huge pressures on court time and exceptional circumstances would be necessary.

Think about the reasons why you are objecting to your child having a holiday with the other parent. Realistically, the court is not going to prevent such a trip unless there are concerns for the child’s welfare, security risks concerning the destination, or a real risk that the parent will not bring back the child after the trip.

The fact that a country is not a member of the Hague Convention, a multilateral treaty which deals with the prompt return of children to their home country, would be grounds for concern.

If the holiday were to interfere with time already earmarked for the other parent then this might be a valid objection but would probably mean that the court would shorten the holiday rather than disallow it altogether.

At a final hearing, the court will have detailed witness statements of from each parent and will hear from them in evidence. The court will arrive at a decision based on the welfare of the child as its paramount consideration and in the light of its welfare checklist also found in the Children Act 1989.

Sometimes the court will only permit a holiday if payment of a bond is made. It may also require specific travel details to include proof of return travel arrangements.

Grandparents & grandchildren


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Tuesday, 17 May 2022

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.fosterharrington.co.uk/

For qualified and expert legal advice please get in touch on 01276 692233 or use our contact form and we will call you back.

 family law resolution logo  Society of Trust Estate Practitioners

Legal Information

Email Disclaimer | Copyright | Cookies & Privacy | Statutory Information | Website Disclaimer  | Privacy

Foster Harrington is the trading name of Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited. Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales (with registered number 08472565) and its registered office is at the above address. It is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 599319). VAT Registered No 384 3092 44.

Contact Us

Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited
22 Park Street, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 3PL

Call us on 01276 692233 or email info@fosterharrington.co.uk