Speak to a solicitor today
01276 692233

Twitter Linkedin

How can I protect myself from my partner?: Non-molestation orders & Occupation orders

Abuse How can I protect myself from my partner?

Statistics covering the quarter ended September 2020 show a 26% increase in domestic violence remedies from the year before. What protection is available?

What is a non-molestation order (NMO)? An NMO is designed to stop various kinds of abusive behaviour which could involve harassment, physical, verbal and emotional abuse. They can be ordered under section 42 Family Law Act 1996 if a free-standing application is made for an order by a person associated with the respondent.

Can I get an NMO without my partner knowing? Yes. It is sometimes known as a “without notice” or “ex parte” order. If making such an order the court would list a “return date” when both parties would need to attend.

Can I get an order that excludes my partner from my home? Yes. An occupation order is another form of injunction order that regulates occupation of a property. For example, an order could permit your return if you have been excluded. It can even prohibit your partner from visiting the neighbourhood where the home is situated.

How long can these orders last? An NMO generally is designed to deal with an immediate occurrence of harassment or abuse and to reduce the temperature by prohibiting behaviour that might inflame the situation further. It is good practice for an order to stipulate its end date and that is not likely to be more than 12 months.

What if the NMO is breached? Do I have to apply to the court? No. One can simply contact the police. Breach of an NMO is a criminal offence.

My spouse is disposing of assets: Can I stop him?
Meeting your Family Law Solicitor for the First Ti...


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Tuesday, 17 May 2022

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.fosterharrington.co.uk/

For qualified and expert legal advice please get in touch on 01276 692233 or use our contact form and we will call you back.

 family law resolution logo  Society of Trust Estate Practitioners

Legal Information

Email Disclaimer | Copyright | Cookies & Privacy | Statutory Information | Website Disclaimer  | Privacy

Foster Harrington is the trading name of Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited. Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales (with registered number 08472565) and its registered office is at the above address. It is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 599319). VAT Registered No 384 3092 44.

Contact Us

Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited
22 Park Street, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 3PL

Call us on 01276 692233 or email info@fosterharrington.co.uk