Speak to a solicitor today
01276 692233

Twitter Linkedin

My spouse is disposing of assets: Can I stop him?


All too often does a client present to us concerned that their spouse is disposing of matrimonial assets. It might be that they have cashed in a policy with a view to going on a spending spree or perhaps they have transferred funds to a third party.

The law can offer relief in such circumstances. First there needs to be a petition on foot. Second there needs to be a financial application in Form A made. One can normally only file a Form A when one has undergone a mediation and information assessment meeting. However, there is an exemption where the case needs an urgent hearing.

Under the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973, section 37, one must satisfy the court that the other party intends to defeat the claim for financial relief. The section enables an applicant to restrain anticipated dealings that may defeat the applicant’s financial claim. The court may also set aside a reviewable disposition.

Can I get an order urgently? This can happen without notice only in limited circumstances in emergency cases or where there is a real risk that if the respondent is tipped off they will take steps to defeat the court’s order.

The injunction order made by the court must set out clearly what the respondent can and cannot do. The court may make whatever order is necessary to protect the claim including a freezing injunction.

Deciding the financial outcome of a matrimonial sp...
How can I protect myself from my partner?: Non-mol...


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Tuesday, 17 May 2022

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.fosterharrington.co.uk/

For qualified and expert legal advice please get in touch on 01276 692233 or use our contact form and we will call you back.

 family law resolution logo  Society of Trust Estate Practitioners

Legal Information

Email Disclaimer | Copyright | Cookies & Privacy | Statutory Information | Website Disclaimer  | Privacy

Foster Harrington is the trading name of Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited. Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales (with registered number 08472565) and its registered office is at the above address. It is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 599319). VAT Registered No 384 3092 44.

Contact Us

Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited
22 Park Street, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 3PL

Call us on 01276 692233 or email info@fosterharrington.co.uk