Speak to a solicitor today
01276 692233

Twitter Linkedin

Grandparents & grandchildren


Grandparents can perform an essential function in supporting parents with children. But, in a relationship breakdown, what if a parent stops a grandparent from seeing their grandchild?

As a grandparent you do not have an automatic right to see your grandchildren. One way of trying to resolve matters is to mediate. Family mediation is a process in which those involved in family breakdown, whether or not they are a couple or other family members, appoint an impartial third person to assist them to communicate better with one another and reach their own agreed and informed decisions concerning some, or all, of the issues relating to separation, divorce, children, finance or property by negotiation.

If mediation does not succeed and it comes to a grandparent making an application for a child arrangements order then they must first seek the leave, or permission, of the court. When considering whether leave should be given the following is taken into account:

(a) the nature of the proposed application for the section 8 order;

(b) the applicant’s connection with the child;

Continue reading
  121 Hits
121 Hits

How does the court make orders over the children?


When a couple splits up the parties have to decide with whom their children shall live and how much they see of them.

There is no longer any concept of “custody”. All mothers have parental responsibility (PR) which means all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority a parent has for a child. All dads married to the mother of their children have PR. Unmarried fathers gain PR when they are named on the child’s birth certificate. PR can also be acquired by way of a deed executed with the mother or by an application to the court for a PR order. Each parent can exercise PR independently of the other save in relation to certain limited cases.

Following break up a couple can simply agree arrangements for a child. If they can’t agree then an application can be made to the court for a child arrangements order. Once termed residence and contact orders these are defined as orders:

“(a) with whom a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact, and

(b) when a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact with any person;”

Continue reading
  132 Hits
132 Hits

For qualified and expert legal advice please get in touch on 01276 692233 or use our contact form and we will call you back.

 family law resolution logo  Society of Trust Estate Practitioners

Legal Information

Email Disclaimer | Copyright | Cookies & Privacy | Statutory Information | Website Disclaimer  | Privacy

Foster Harrington is the trading name of Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited. Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales (with registered number 08472565) and its registered office is at the above address. It is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 599319). VAT Registered No 384 3092 44.

Contact Us

Foster Harrington Solicitors Limited
22 Park Street, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 3PL

Call us on 01276 692233 or email info@fosterharrington.co.uk